4/29/09

No news in the small garden

The lovely native bush anenome (Carpenteria californica, native to, well, Fresno County) continues to bloom. I have two, but only this one is blooming. The other is just a couple feet away; I'm not sure why both aren't blooming. Maybe this one got a bit more sunlight over winter...? It's possible.

Carpenteria californica

New leaves on the pajaro manzanita (Arctostaphylos pajaroensis 'Lester Rountree') add a bronzy cast to the garden this time of year.

Arctostaphylos pajaroensis 'Lester Rountree'

I really dig it.

IMG_7261

I think the purple honeywort (Cerinthe major 'purpurascens') is starting to dry out a bit. Nothing but rainwater for this plant. I can see some seeds have ripened and dropped, guaranteeing next year's crop. Actually, some of those seeds will germinate in the fall when the rains come; others seed will wait until next spring.

Cerinthe major

The top-setting onions are photogenic. I harvest them as green onions once in awhile, but mostly I just let them be groovy.

walking onion

The freesia flowers have dried all dried out. They remain remarkably colorful! I don't have a design plan in place to take advantage of that; it is what it is.

dead freesias

Bright sun seems to be whitening the yellow 'Charlotte' rose. Not loving that, but the sun isn't this bright all year. Also, the rose hasn't opened all the way. Maybe it's yellowier inside.

'Charlotte'

Here's my grape. I thought I saw flower buds, but now I can't find them. Maybe I was just hallucinating. Sigh.

Vitis californica

Gilia tricolor is one of my favorite wildflowers.

Gilia tricolor

Stylomecon heterophylla is pretty good too.

Stylomecon heterophylla

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That top setting onion is so cool! I wonder if you whispered sweet nothings to one of the Carpenterias and not the other, so the dissed one is pouting? Pretty pretty flowers. And your Cerinthe photos remind me that I keep forgetting to toss some seeds in my garden so that I can enjoy them again.

lisa said...

I dig that onion, too! Grapes can be frustrating, IMO...at least yours is growing well. I can't seem to get any of mine to grow taller than six inches or so, even the wild ones! *sigh*